Monday, February 1, 2016

Let's Cheer for the 100th Day of School!

Ahh, the 100th day of school. In the 80s, there was nothing especially exciting about the 100th day of school. We celebrated the first day and the 180th (last) day, but everything else was a day of school. Fast forward to 2016 and it is a really big deal. Like, a big enough deal that every kid at school is supposed to make and wear a shirt with 100 items on it.

We started out by going to Pinterest because my creative space in my brain has been smothered by the overflow from the responsibility space in my brain. At least with Pinterest I can look like a mom who wanted to put some creative effort into this little project. Mistake #1? I let this kid hang out with me while I Pinterested. Browsed Pinterest. There really should be a word for that. Anyway, I let this kid help me, and she obviously loves extravagance and thinks she is a very fancy girl. 

We searched and searched and we both had our favorites. I wanted to do the gumball machine design that kept popping up while Lily was set on 100 hearts with a message about loving school. We set out to buy materials and then had yet another creative disagreement. Do we cut felt hearts, use sparkly heart stones, or use some other little object to form a heart? There was some eye rolling from both sides and  then a new idea popped into my brain. Lily liked it, so we moved ahead with our new idea. Lily loves the idea of cheerleading, so we decided to use 100 little pom-poms to make...you guessed it, pom-poms.

Execution was easy enough. We started with a white shirt, 100 little pom-pom balls (1/2 inch), a tiny bow, a glue gun, iron and some of those handy t-shirt transfers that run through an ink jet printer. 

We printed a cheerleader on the transfer as well as some verbiage about the 100th day. Next, we ironed on the cheerleader and words.
Once the transfer cooled and the backing was peeled off, we added heated up the glue gun our embellishments. We glued the bow on top of the head of our cheerleader since bows are our thing. Then we added 25 blue poms and 25 red poms on each of the two pom-poms for a grand total of 100! 
Once the hot glue was dry we sat back and looked at our creation. Lily loved it, so I call it success! 
I sat and looked at our masterpiece for a few more minutes, while Lily used the remaining 150 pom-poms to let it snow on her toys.
Nice.

And here we are, ready for day 100! 







2 comments: